Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fubar 2, Pontypool, The Uninvited (1944), Daybreakers

Jan 23, 2011
Fubar 2 (2010)

Yeah. I know. But it has a ghost in it. And is even better than the first one if that was even possible. It shows off West Edmonton Mall (my teenage hangout), Ft McMurray, and rig piggin'. It is a horror movie of a sort. If you grew up in a small town, or just knew someone who did, it's the horror of what could happen to you if you let it all go. Just Give'r.

Jan 24, 2011
Pontypool (2008)

To make up for my transgressions, I watched 3 movies today. 3!! Pontypool is an amazing Canadian piece of film making. Stephen McHattie is elevated to Ian McShane levels of voice amazing-ness in this. In fact I think he supersedes him. The dulcet tones of Mazzy in the morning could wake me up any day. The premise of this is nothing short of fantastic in the true sense. language becomes the carrier of a raging zombie type infection. It's one of the best takes on the genre I have seen. I love this movie with my whole heart. Everyone should watch it. Do it for the Can-con.

The Uninvited (1944)

A rather lovely haunted house story. It's set in England but no one really has British accents, just that weird affected way of speaking people had back in ye olden days. I'm not sure if this was actually ever scary, but it is really sumptuous and there is a terrier named Bobby in it. So there. Everyone lived happily ever after. 

Daybreakers (2009)

We saw this in the theatre and this is the first time we re-watched it. It holds up as one of the prettiest movies that made me think of Bioshock (video game). There are lots of nice cold blues and popping reds, mixed with a warm palette representing the human world. It's really stylised with terrific effects. Good funny performance from Willem Dafoe too. Damn he is skinny! A fun re-watch.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED Pontypool too - best voice ever. And you know how I feel about FUBAR II!!!

    ReplyDelete