Monday, January 17, 2011

Body Melt, Vampire Circus, Black Swan

Jan 15, 2011
Body Melt (1993)

This is a little known Aussie gem that I heard about from a guy on my knitting/horror movie board. See how crazy knitters are? It is a lovely, nasty little gross out flick the likes of the Davids Cronenberg/Lynch would be pleased to see they inspired. There are some down under Deliverance style characters, some yuppies, something for everyone you could say. Great fun and a bloody good gross out!

Jan 16, 2011
Vampire Circus (1972)

I was 4 when this was made! The beginning is a wonderful, almost short film of the enticement and murder of a small girl. Who looked a lot like I did back then. CREEPY! Holy hell is this ever a departure from the earlier more heaving bosoms of Hammer Film's beginnings. Boobs and sex and gore! A somewhat flimsy premise never kept a horror film down and why should it start now. Absolute must watch if you are a fan of the Hammer films, and maybe even if you aren't.

Jan 17, 2011
Black Swan (2010)

I don't think I was prepared to like this movie as much as I did. I thought at the start of the film "how many shots are going to be behind Natalie Portman's head walking?" But I stopped caring about that as it drew me in. It's a tight twisted story that provides you with many a hallucinatory views. Body image, identity, control and torture (not the Hostel kind, the Ballet life kind. The scarier of the two IMHO) are themes most of us are familiar with, but this has a wicked edge. I still am not sure what exactly happened and what didn't. I just know this really is one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Creeptacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment