Monday, May 9, 2011

How to be a Serial Killer, Vampire in Brooklyn, Blade Runner (Final Cut), Zombieland, The Prophecy, Goth, Mother of Tears, The Number 23, Scream 1, 2 &3, Creepshow, The Grudge 2, They Live, Dreamscape

According to Chris I should be blogging more often. I agree as it can be a slog to get through all these entries for me never mind my faithful audience. All 2 of you. I'll try to get it on 2x a week from now on. Now onto the show...


Apr 28, 2011
How to be a Serial Killer (2008)

Wouldn't you know it, my note taking skills for the last week or so have been non-existent, so you lucky duckies get to read my shitty memory addled recollections of these! This was pretty entertaining even if it did fall apart in the last 20 minutes or so. I enjoyed to infomercial style, and wish it had been more like that. Sadly, it's hard to keep up a good gag like that and this suffered from it. I'd only recommend this if you really like the genre (self aware/smirking horror comedy) or if you want to be a serial killer.

Apr 29, 2011
Vampire In Brooklyn (1995)

Remember when Eddie Murphy was funny? Not fat suit wearing funny or animated donkey (which I love) funny, but really funny? Yeah me either. I had never seen this mash up of Wes Craven and Eddie and I have to admit I really kinda dug it. Loved Kadeem Hardison as a ghoul with dropping face value. I was surprised by how good this looked, and how suave Eddie was. I'd watch it again.

Apr 29, 2011
Blade Runner The Final Cut (1983/2007)

I only saw one scene that I had never seen before in this cut. I'm not a rabid fan girl though and subtle nuances may be lost on me. A classic, beautiful movie.

Apr 30, 2011
Zombieland (2009)

9th time or so watching this I think? Duh.

May 1, 2011
The Prophecy (1995)

You really forget what a good actor Christopher Walken is don't you? I'd totally believe he was a pissed off angel who creates really unhappy ghouls to drive him around (because he CAN'T DRIVE OK?) and looks into little kids mouths for a missing soul. Maybe he really does that IRL? And Viggo as Satan? *dies a little with awesome* Perfect casting. Great story, pretty visuals and Elias Koteas. YAY!!

May 2, 2011
Goth (2002)

I had already rejected a bunch of movies for today and time was getting short. It looked like this was going to be a forced upon me choice and ugh. I feel like I have been mind raped by a hot topic goth. My GF's and I were talking about the worst movie we had ever seen (one picked Dinner for Schmucks, one picked Liquid Sky) I had nothing to add to the conversation because I hadn't seen this filthy piece of garbage that offends the very core of my being. Yet. This rancid, insipid, poorly written look at "Goth" was just so awful, I feel like I need a Silkwood brain shower to cleanse the terrible from my head. Maybe a lobotomy? Maybe the fucking losers that made this had already partaken of a lobotomy? To make matters worse (like I thought that was possible at this point?) everyone in it is UGLY. Not like Hollywood ugly, REAL UGLY. I am sad that I've seen this. I think I'll have a cry and maybe some ether to wash away the GOTH.

May3, 2011
Mother of Tears (2007)

The world had been waiting for this movie for so long, that I fear there was no way Argento could have made a fitting end to his masterful trilogy. Yeah. That is kinda how it worked out too. I love me some Asia Argento, but this was um, not very good. It looked ok, but the story was weak, and the ending seemed super rushed and tacked on. Only for serious Argento fans. Proceed with caution.

May 3, 2011
Number 23 (2007)

My notes say "Jim Carrey is a terrible actor". Let's just leave it as that then. No need to mention the terrible story, and the saxophone. Nope, no need.

May 4, 2011
Scream 1,2,3 (1996,1997,2000)

Yeah. All of them in one day. It's blurred into one big movie. That's all I got.

May 5, 2011
Creepshow (1985)

Classic. A must see. Except for the Steve King one.

May 6, 2011
The Grudge 2 (2006)

Weird and time flippy. I love watching these with Chris cause he gets all screamy. This was slightly better than average sequel fare. If you like the J-horror, you may get a kick out of it.

May 7, 2011
They Live (1988)

DAMN!! Roddy Piper wears the dirtiest jeans EVER in this. The fight scene with him and Keith David is legendary (and choreographed by the actors and actually fought for 5 minutes longer than the 20 seconds Carpenter had planned. That is dedication to your craft!) and worth watching for it alone. The message is even more relevant today, and stands as a cheese-tacular flick for the ages.

May 8, 2011
Dreamscape (1984)

This movie came out the same year as Nightmare on Elm St and had so many of the same features it makes one wonder what happens when scripts float around long enough. It also bears noting it's resemblance to Inception as well. Also I think Mr Tim Burton must have seen this and used the visuals as inspiration for Beetlejuice. Dennis Quaid was never so young and handsome. Same goes for Max Von Sydow, minus the handsome. I really enjoyed this, I mean how could you not? It has a stop motion snake man!

No comments:

Post a Comment