Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Priest, Serial Mom, Cecil B DeMented, Demons, Zombie Nightmare (MST3K), Demons 2, The Clinic

May 13, 2011
Priest (2011)

I liked Thor more. Lest I seem like I'm damning this with faint praise, I did enjoy this. The plot was thin, but it was pretty and had some cool action. It is the same dude that did Legion (also with Paul Bettany) and you can tell. I dunno, it was a good popcorn flick. But I haven't thought about it since I saw it.

May 13, 2011
Serial Mom (1995)

It's been so long since I've seen this (once, in the theatre!) that I was totally surprised how much I enjoyed it. Kathleen Turner was adorable in it, and it captured the mid 90's as a perfect little time capsule. Hilarious and how can you not love a movie that has someone beaten to death with a ham?

May 14, 2011
Cecil B. DeMented (2000)

Chris couldn't believe I hadn't seen this. Neither could I. Thank you Netflix for showing me the way. This was truly absurd and painfully funny. I think it may be Melanie Griffith (much like Honey Whitlock)'s best work. Also; I think this was right after she had a bunch of plastic surgery done, she looked really good! Art imitates life. *sigh*


May 15/16, 2011
Demons, Demons 2 (1985/1986)

Having never watched these back to back we reckoned it was high time we did. Both classics in the Demon genre (there's a Demon genre? YOU BETCHA) these are absolutely batshit insane. Really no explanation of why or how the demon invasion comes about (aside from some bizarre narration of the movies inside the movies!) you are left to ponder the hows and whys alone in your head. Oh fuck that! THERE ARE DEMONS!!!!! Drooling, teeth and fingernail growing, pus spewing DEMONS!!! We get re-cycled actors from 1 into 2, and the plot follows the same basic formula. Which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, if it ain't broke don't fix it. LOVE YOU DEMONS!!!

May 16, 2011
Zombie Nightmare/MST3K version (1986/1994)

Wow. Oh Canada sometimes you just go out of your way to make a fine ass flick like this one. Right? All I can say is I'm glad I watched the MST3K one of this. Mike and the 'bots provided much needed laughs when I would have been crying. Thanks guys. Never mind how a Haitian Voodoo Priestess named Molly (!) lives in Montreal. Just pay no attention to Adam West and his cigar. Actually, I rather liked it. YMMV.

May 17, 2011
The Clinic (2010)

Moms in jeopardy are always great subjects for horror. Everyone has a Mom and some of us are Moms. Everyone knows a Mom! This was an almost (SPOILER) a Battle Royale type flick for kidnapped pregnant ladies. It was gruesome and creepy. The outback (this is an Aussie film) is a wild scary place and the setting is just perfect. I just finished watching this as I type, so haven't had time to let it fully sink in yet, and a couple of the plot twists are a little hard to fully buy. But all in all I enjoyed this. Don't let the preggos in your life watch this ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment