Monday, April 4, 2011

Hobo With A Shotgun, Re-Aninmator, Rubber, Dead Calm, The Howling 3: The Marsupials, Blood Feast 2: All You Can Eat, Altered States, The Cave, Insidious, Bride of the Re-Animator, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Shaun of the Dead, The Fly

Mar 25, 2011
Hobo With a Shotgun 2011


How could you not love a movie like this? Ultra violent, exploitative, filthy, nasty and Rutger Hauer? What is not to love? This was a grimy world I really enjoyed visiting, but am so damn glad I don't live there. This was a super fun grindhouse movie that makes me have a modicum of faith that the movie industry isn't completely broken. Fantastic and fun but not for the faint of heart or apparently the people who bought tickets for it and were too dumb to figure it out and left 20 minutes in. Bravo Hobo!

Mar 26, 2011
Re-Animator (1985)

Based on a story by HP Lovecraft? I don't care if this is based on a Harlequin Romance novel, as long as Stuart Gordon and Jeffrey Combs keep making movies together, I'll keep watching them. Gross and funny don't get much better than this. Everyone needs to watch this.

Mar 26, 2011
Rubber (2010)

I had no idea what this was about. Chris put it on and from the first 5 minutes we were transfixed. An unexpected little movie of big ideas. A killer tire? Really? But it works, it really does. Great performances and a truly unexpected story pair for a unique little movie that will surprise even the most jaded of viewers. Nifty and funny!

Mar 27, 2011
Dead Calm (1989)

My notes say "menacing!" Please also note Nicole Kidman looks completely different than she does now. Maybe she still had puppy fat? Also, Billy Zane had hair and Sam Neill DOESN'T AGE. Enjoyed it.

Mar 28, 2011
The Howling 3: The Marsupials

Holy shit was this a terrible flick. More bug eyed, brow waggling acting than you can shake a stick at! Awful effects, too much fish eye lens and a plot that made no sense what so ever. Sometimes all that shit comes together to make a movie weirdly work, this isn't one of them. Simply bad.

Mar 29, 2011
Blood Feast 2: All You Can Eat

Now this is one of those movies that works. Cheesy effects and buckets of entrails! Bad acting and lots of boobs, it was super fun to watch. Really really fun. H G Lewis really was a helluva movie maker. Don't eat anything with red sauce and watch this, you've been warned. Bonus! John Waters as a naughty priest!

Mar 30, 2011
Altered States (1980)

Notes: Hippie freakout. Allegory of how man isn't complete until he knows love. Doesn't hold up well.
Dudes liked be naked back then.

Mar 31, 2011
The Cave (2005)

Despite having a terrible connection to Netflix that resulted in this looking like I watched it through the bottom of a dirty glass, I liked it more than I remembered. My strange slight crush on Cole Hauser may or may not have something to do with it. But the story was good, it looked good (what I could see) and it was a pleasant afternoon diversion.

Apr 1, 2011
Insidious (2011)

No joke here. This is the real thing. Creepy, dark, and spooky. James Wan delivers another winner. Truly a scary little movie with no gore, this would be a great introduction for a kid who liked the genre. You know, if you wanted to fuck him up real good. Like 'Salem's Lot did for my generation. Man, I loved this movie. It unsettled Both Chris and I. Yay!

Apr 2, 2011
Bride of Re-Animator (1990)

Did you see up there where I talked about the first Re-Animator? Yeah, same again. In fact I found the story tighter and a little more coherent. Highly recommended.
Apr 3, 2011
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

I went and saw this with my friend who is terrified of these kinds of movies. It is SO MUCH FUN to go with someone like that. She screamed, watched through her fingers and was generally just awesome to watch along with this movie. Upon second viewing (at 7 am no less!) she really made it better than it was. It wasn't terrible, but I really have no beef with re-makes in general. It was meh, but I am damning it with faint praise indeed. :/

Apr 3, 2011
Shaun of the Dead (2004)

When Chris and I went to see this in the theatre, he had no idea it was British. The second time we watched we put on the subs for my accent challenged husband. I'm proud to say after this 11th viewing, he doesn't need subs anymore. Actually I jest, he is really good with accents now. Finally.

Who the hell hasn't seen this yet? If you haven't why are reading this blog? sheesh.

Apr 4, 2011
The Fly (1986)

Yuck. I totally forgot how gross this movie was. Jeff Goldblum is completely entrancing as BrundleFly. Geena Davis was a little more mouth agape than I remembered, but this is a Cronenberg masterpiece. Nasty medicine cabinet for snoopers.






No comments:

Post a Comment