Friday, February 4, 2011

Ichi The Killer, Spider Baby, The Curse Of Frankenstein, Apparitions, Rabid, Paranormal Activity 2, The Horror Of Dracula

Jan 29, 2011
Ichi The Killer (2001)

I totally forgot how fucked up Miikes' movies are. It's been ages since we watched this and OMG. The audacity it must have taken to make this in the first place.. I can't even imagine. It's rapey badness and violent and plain old batshit crazy. I mean truly truly insane. It was tougher to watch than I remember but has glorious payoffs. It's funny, disgusting, upsetting and GROSS. Hats off Mr Miike, you ARE gonzo cinema. I will be revisiting more of this soon. 

Jan 30, 2011
Spider Baby (1964)

I love this movie with my whole black heart. It's silly, funny, and even truly creepy. Jake (my 18 year old son) came in when we were watching this. He sat down and totally enjoyed it with us. Well really why not? Gorgeous girls in nighties running around, Captain Spaulding as a young bald semi-moron and the threat of the spider game. Who wouldn't love it. The commentary is totally worth listening to and the special features on the DVD are great. Go get this gem. It's wonderful. 

Jan 31, 2011
The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957)

I have such a terrific crush on Christopher Lee it isn't even funny. This re-telling of the Shelley story isn't really unique in any way but it is enjoyable as hell to watch. I find Peter Cushing to be a cold fish in most stuff, but he is actually lecherously fabulous in this. Truly a single minded jerk. Lovely as usual Hammer sets (which I am starting to recognise!) and costumes. 

Jan 31, Feb 1 & 2, 2011
Apparitions (2008)

I watched this BBC offering over 3 days (it was 6 hours!) interspersed with other stuff. It was a classic exorcist tale, with the very charismatic Martin Shaw as Father Jacob. A priest who investigates miracles. He gets caught up in a demonic kerfuffle, and hilarity ensues. Well maybe not hilarious for everyone, but it was pretty good TV. It did feel a little overtly preachy at times, but there was enough creepy shit going on to keep me interested for most of the 6 hours. 

Feb 1, 2011
Rabid (1976)

I love that David Croenenberg is unapologetically Canadian. Setting this in Montreal? Awesome. His movies are classic tales of body horror. I love him, I love them, I love Marilyn Chambers, I love it all. 

Feb 2, 2011
Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

We really enjoyed this first one of these flicks. I especially love watching my husband get really really wound up and freaked out. This sequel amps up the scares and gets into the mythos of the story a little bit more. It gets into the action pretty quickly and was really really fun to watch. And so was Chris. 

Feb 3, 2011
The Horror Of Dracula (1958)

More Hammer horror. Mr Lee wearing the most awful contacts ever in this film. I read he couldn't see at all when he wore them, and kept missing marks. It is a rather mixed up version of Bram Stoker's novel, but that doesn't detract from the fun.Yay Hammer!

Phew, that was huge. I really have to try to blog more frequently.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete