Thursday, February 24, 2011

Frailty, Cloverfield, The Signal, The Thing (1982), In The Mouth Of Madness, Day Of The Triffids (2010), Dead Snow (2007), Cropsey

Feb 16, 2011
Frailty (2001)

How can you go wrong with demons and righteous killings? Well you can't. Directed by Bill Paxton, this is a fabulous little gem. Full of tension and religious crazy, it's a really wonderful movie.


Feb 18, 2011
Cloverfield (2008)

It's funny, both Chris and I hate the shaky cam with the flaming passion of a thousand fiery suns, yet this movie is a win for both of us. Chris in particular LOVES it. I do love an unhappy ending and this fits the bill to a T. It surprises me that Chris likes this as much as he does, he is far more of a lovely optimist than I am. We're all just enigmas aren't we?


Feb 19, 2011
The Signal (2007)

We watched this for the first time in Vegas when we stayed at the Paris. The TV there sucked, it was a small tube TV but we always watch at least one movie there and I really wanted to see this so.... It was transfixing. I love a 3 view film and was completely wowed by this. Great performances, and an amazing idea made into a fantastic movie. Small budget doesn't mean small film. I love this movie. LOVE.


Feb 20, 2011
The Thing (1982)

Not a woman in sight. Except the chess computer who gets trashed in the first 10 minutes. You'd think as a woman this would be an issue for me, but HELLS NO. We watched this with commentary as it is like the 20th time I've watched it, and JC doesn't disappoint. He and Kurt Russell have a grand time dissecting and discussing this classic. Amazing.


Feb 21, 2011
In The Mouth Of Madness (1992)

I had no idea Mr Carpenter considered The Thing, ITMOM and Prince Of Darkness to be a trilogy. His Apocalypse trilogy to be precise. The end of the world is a great subject. This Cthulhu-esque Lovecraftian end of days tale is so fucking fun to watch. Sam Neill is hilarious and super fun to watch. I'm on a roll with good stuff right now...

Feb 21/22, 2011
Day Of The Triffids (2009)

And the roll ends here. Argh. This was laughable, campy and sin of sins, boring. We stuck it out for 4 hours, and I am not a better for it. I may have lost a few IQ points but Chris and I did piss ourselves laughing a few times so it wasn't a total loss. It only mostly was. :(


Feb 23, 2011
Dead Snow (2007)

One of my pals came over to knit and she has a small obsession with getting me to watch horror movies with her, so I picked this one. We laughed, she covered her eyes, we cheered, she covered her eyes, we groaned, she covered her eyes. It was a great success. Great fun and nice knits in it to boot. NAZI ZOMBIES.


Feb 24, 2011
Cropsey (2009)

This aforementioned friend finally convinced me to sign up for the free month of Netflix. My first pass through, I found this documentary that I have been WEEING to see for ages! So hurrah for that! I may have built this up a little so was a titch underwhelmed. The story was pretty interesting, but it wasn't that compelling for me. Maybe if I was from Staten Island, but it left me a little bit bored. Oh well, the glory of Netflix is there is always more...

No comments:

Post a Comment