Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Gorgon, Monkey Shines, Shelter, Death Becomes Her, Forget Me Not, House (Hasu), Children Of The Corn: Genesis, Deep Red, Bird With The Crystal Plumage, 30 Days of Night

I have got to admit this, I have hit the wall when it comes to horror movies. I can't find any new ones that spark my interest. If I see one more shallow twat getting stalked by a murderous killer, I may turn into one (either one frankly)  myself. I think this last month will be tough to get through and will require a Herculean strength of will. Thankfully I hate Christmas more, and that usually fuels a return to the love of all things evil. Hail Satin! Or however that goes...


Nov 14
The Gorgon (1964)

Poor Megaera, her looks leave you cold. And stoned. Mr Lee arrives to save the day. Kinda. 


Nov 15
Monkey Shines (1988)

I had no idea that George Romero wrote and directed this. I think it may actually rise above Martin as my favourite film of his. Terrific story, well acted and some nice monkey action make for a fun flick. That little monkey Ella, can come and dust my house anytime. 


Nov 16
Shelter (2010)

I had never heard of this movie before I saw it on one of the movie channels. It was tagged as a horror film so I DVR'ed it and am I ever glad I did!! The always awesome Julianne Moore (who I have a terrific girl crush on) is spot on form as a forensic psychiatrist who gets involved with a case that turns out to question and shatter her deep religious beliefs. I really liked the performance by Jonathan Rhys Myers too. And, it has Hill People in it! I truly enjoyed this movie, will definitely re-watch this!


Nov 17
Death Becomes Her (1992)

Black humour and Isabella Rosellini's side boob. Yup. Pretty fun. 


Nov 18
Forget Me Not (2009)

For all the bitching I've done about new movies sucking balls, this one was pretty fun too. For a tired genre, this is pretty damn original. It has some good twists and turns and looked great too. I genuinely enjoyed this low-budget outing. 


Nov 20
House/Hasu (1975)

I ordered the blu-ray Criterion edition of this and as soon as it got to us we ripped it open and popped it in. OMG STILL BATSHIT CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! This is a stand out movie on all levels. Classic. 


Nov 21
Children Of The Corn: Genesis (2011)

Well, this wasn't as terrible as most of the sequels. Billy Drago is in it. He looks like a dessicated corpse and that was kinda scary. So yeah.. umm.. I barely remember this movie at all. :/


Nov 22
Deep Red (1975)

1975 was a good year for movies. Classic Argento.I love Daria Nicolodi in this movie so much.


Nov 23
Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970)

Classic Giallo. Beautifully shot. Wonderful.


Nov 27
30 Days of Night (2007)

This is one of my top 10 horror movies I think. Chris doesn't get it and I'm not sure I do entirely either. I think the vampires themselves have an enormous amount to do with it. There ain't a sparkle in the whole bunch of them. In fact they darkle (look it up). Danny Houston is magnificent as Marlow. I (only after watching this yesterday for the like 10th time) finally understood who he was. The actor I mean. I love you Mr Houston. I really do. This whole movie really does my head in. The cold, the isolation, the whisper quietness.. it all works as a wonderfully terrifying flick for me. <3 <3 <3

3 comments:

  1. hey have you seen the tunnel (2011) or mole (2001) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't! are they worth a watch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldn't get the mole movie, but allegedly they're almost the same., except one was made in 2001 and takes place in NY and the other one is from australia,2011. i really liked the tunnel, it has some great moments and also some shortcomings. but i'd really recommend it if you like all that blair witch type of movie. btw i love your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete