Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dracula Prince of Darkness, The Perfect Host, The Brides of Dracula, Drive Angry, Creature, The Witches, Nightbreed, The Devil Rides In, Beyond the Door, 7 Doors of Death (The Beyond), Existenz

Sept 29
Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)

Direct sequel to 1958's Dracula. With no Peter Cushing. Mr Lee is present though and that is enough for me.I love seeing those sets get all that use. It warms my cold shriveled heart.


Sept 29 
The Perfect Host (2010)


This was another Chris pick. We were kind of expecting a black comedy and we got it, but it was wrapped in a candy shell of HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON-ness. It's a right little jewel of a flick that has you reconsidering dinner parties and opening your door. EVER. A great performance by David Hyde Pierce is only the beginning of this. It's got some nifty twists I didn't see coming, and I LOVED IT. 



Sept 30
The Brides of Dracula (1960)

This proves that the Hammer ladies were gorgeous but DUMB. Like box of hair dumb. I guess it also proves you can survive a vamp bite. If you're Peter Cushing. Actually it's the second time I've seen them burn it out with fire. Kudos for continuity Hammer!


Sept 30
Drive Angry (2011)

Honestly? Even better on second view. Nic Cage in the hotel room with the chick? GENIUS. Fun-o-rama.


Oct 2
Creature (2011)

A Hatchet rip-off. it was "ok tho" according to my notes. Damning with faint praise. 


Oct 3 
The Witches (1966)

A Hammer modern dance epic. Epic my ass but it was a rather entertaining tale of new witchery gone bananas in rural England. Pretty funny worship scenes if I do say so. 
Oct 3
Nightbreed (1990)

Craig Scheffer makes his triumphant return to my blog. Damn I love this movie and know what? It still looks marvelous! Cronenberg is so creepy in this, understated and did I mention.. IT"S SET IN ALBERTA! Calgary! Woo. 


Oct 4
The Devil Rides Out (1968)

I've reviewed this before. Any movie that gives Mr Lee more dialogue is golden in my book!


Oct 5
Beyond the Door (1975)

I don't even know where to begin about this hot mess of Italian goodness. The dubbing in what sounded like a dumpster? The swearing kids? Their obsession with pea soup? The WHOLE PLOT? The fact that the name Demetri is said so many time all I can hear is THE MEAT TREE? The whole lack of plot? Well since I am befuddled I'll just say I kinda loved it in a Fulci/D' Amato way. 


Oct 5
7 Doors of Death (The Beyond 1975)

One of my fave Fulci flicks. For all the stupid non head shots that Dr Dumbass does, I forgive this movie. The flooded basement really gives me the chills. Also: the spider attack. While I know this could never happen it FREAKS ME OUT! Weird and nonsensical, I love this. 


Oct 5
Existenz (1999)

That stupid Inception movie owes this a huge debt of thanks for giving it a plot to follow. This is by far better, weirder and grosser. Jude Law is pretty amazing in it. The themes are icky (like all good Cronenberg body horror) and uncomfortable. I forgot how much I like this. Effects are fantastic still.

No comments:

Post a Comment